Friday, February 29, 2008

My Tango Class With El Pulpo




I took a fun class from El Pulpo last night at La Pista. El Pulpo, ("The Octopus" in Spanish) is visiting from Buenos Aires and he's so named because of his intricate, intertwining leg movements (see video). Aside from having fun learning these new, octopus-like moves, the important thing El Pulpo stressed is the importance of relaxing your whole body when dancing tango. Too often my upper body is tense & I know I unintentionally transmit that to my partner.

Tonight is El Pulpo's last night teaching in San Francisco. But he has one more class tonight at La Pista, which I'd recommend taking if you can. Women, in particular, seem to really get into his teaching.

Also, I want to give a big shout-out to Tom, who runs La Pista. Tom and all the teachers there have done a great job of building up these classes and milongas. It was more crowded last night than ever with a wonderful mix of dancers of all levels.

No comments: