Thursday, December 13, 2007

Secrets From La Sonrisa


As I started getting deeper into my first year of tango here in San Francisco, I started to realize most of the classes I was taking were in the same part of town. And as I started going to more milongas I was even more surprised to see they were also in the same area. How did we end up with this embarrassment of tango riches all packed into just a few neighborhoods? I'm talking, of course, about the three tango barrios of the Mission, Portrero, & SOMA--an area I like to call La Sonrisa. Why? Well, I did a map mashup and what do those dozen tango hotspots look like on the map? That's right-a smile ("La Sonrisa" in Spanish). I wasn't surprised when I saw La Sonrisa for the first time...I smile at her every night I tango--why shouldn't she smile back?

No comments: