Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Why I Stopped Going To Milongas When I'm Exhausted


I like to tango.

A slow week for me is when I only get in tango 3 times. A more normal week is 4 or 5 times a week.

But I used to go for tango even on nights when I was exhausted. So, how did that work out for me?...yeah, not too well. I finally stopped doing that when I was a beginner because I was so tired one night I was having trouble focusing.

My internal dialogue went something like this: "hmm, who can I tango with?; she looks nice & not too far above my level; great--she accepted; wow, she dances better than I realized; geez--she can really move her body; damn, she's sexy; ok, I've just repeated the only two moves I know eight times--what was that new one I just learned? was it a boleo to the right or left? I think it was to the right? no, it was to the left, or was that the gancho? why did everyone stop moving? or is a gancho that move I just learned or an Argentine cowboy? John Wayne--now there was a cowboy! Although Jimmy Stewart was better in "Destry Rides Again"; why are people walking off the floor?; I wonder who would've won in a fight between John Wayne and Jimmy Stewart? Yeah, sure the obvious choice is John Wayne, but I bet Jimmy Stewart would've kicked his ass. Hell, Stewart flew dangerous missions in World War II--now that was a guy with a backbone! it got real quiet in here all of a sudden; And that scene when Stewart danced into the pool with Donna Reed in "It's A Wonderful Life"--hilarious! I would've loved to have tangoed with Donna Reed. I wonder if she or Grace Kelly would've been a better tango dancer? Why is my partner is looking at me quizically? Damn it, the tango ended! How did I miss that? I've got to focus--no more drifting. 'Thanks for the dance--sorry I missed the ending'; ok, so Jimmy Stewart kicks John Wayne's ass, but would he have beaten Clint Eastwood? Clint was probably a faster draw, but if it's a barfight--I'd take Stewart again--he's just too fast; hmm, who can I dance with?; she looks nice and not too far above my level..."

Brothers, if you ever find yourself tangoing with a lovely woman and wondering if Jimmy Stewart would've kicked John Wayne's ass, it's time to go home.

8 comments:

Red Shoes said...

Indeed...that's why I haven't been at the milongas lately. For the record, though: nobody kicks John Wayne's ass. Not even Chuck Norris could do that. No way.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Mark. Thoroughly enjoyed the romp through your head!

I think I actually napped a couple of times on the dance floor - no reflection whatsoever on the lead...

When I first started and was on the every-night-whether-I-can-stand-or-not phase, I was seriously considering amputating my feet from the pain. But the thrill of dressing up and getting hugged all night was beyond my control.

tangobaby said...

I'm sure you wrote this post intentionally being that it's Jimmy Stewart's birthday today.

I didn't post any clips from Destry Rides Again, though.

I'm with Red Shoes. Can't tango and be tired. It's just no fun. Plus, anyone wearing stiletto heels would be a potential hazard...especially when she's tired.

AlexTangoFuego said...

Yes, this is a very important concept for beginners to understand. For me, "not" dancing tango extends beyond being tired/exhausted, but also to being "in the mood". You may not necessarily be tired, but a bad day at the office or something can totally mess with your tango head.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Johanna. I'm trying to wade into more romping, but am doing so gradually so as to not alarm people.

I love your last sentence ("getting hugged all night")! Brilliant. If you don't mind, I'm going to blog on that sometime.
It reminded me of a thought I had recently, which is that everything in tango seems to come in 3s: 3 minute tangos, a 3 hour embrace...

Anonymous said...

Thanks, TangoBaby, for pointing that out! I was going to mention it & then spaced.

But of course it would be our resident movie expert to catch that. Thanks, TangoBaby!

BTW, how is it possible we haven't seen each other at a milonga in months?!?

Anonymous said...

That is so true, Alex. Normally, if I'm exhausted or not in the mood tango will energize me, but not always. Sometimes (rarely) it's better to just go home & watch the earlier version of SportsCenter.

Anonymous said...

Mark, I am always so flattered when anything I write inspires anyone. Knock yourself out.